When it comes to controlling your weight there are many strategies but the keys to successful weight loss are diet and exercise, but I’m sure you knew that.
Protein plays a role in weight loss as well. There have been studies that show a diet that is high in lean protein will lead to weight loss and even help maintain lean body mass. One of the quickest and easiest ways to get protein in your diet is with a protein enriched meal replacement shake.
If you are looking to lose some extra weight and build muscle it’s important to make sure we get enough protein. Carbs will give you fuel for your workouts but it’s the protein that will help repair and grow your muscles.
A general rule of thumb is to eat at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, and more if you are looking to add muscle. Sound like a lot? If you eat a good source of lean protein at every meal you should be able to reach your nutrition goals with out a problem.
Do these Help you lose weight?
A recent study from the “Nutrition Journal” put this to the test. They conducted a weight loss trial that included 100 obese men and women. They had half the group consume a standard protein diet which included 2 meal replacements per day. While the other half was given meal replacements with higher amounts of protein. After a twelve week trial the results were in. The test revealed that both groups lost about the same amount of weight. But to their surprise, the half that consumed the higher amounts of protein had a much higher FAT loss, while maintaining muscle mass compared to the other group.
Protein helps keep you satisfied longer, keeping you “filled up” longer.
Good Protein Sources
Here is a list of excellent protein sources:
- Seafood – Seafood is a great source of protein because it is low in fat. Salmon has a higher fat amount but contains the Omega 3 oils which are the healthy kind. My preference in seafood is Tilapia. It doesn’t have that “fishy” taste. I get a bag of frozen tilapia from Publix where they have the tilapia individually wrapped in 3-4 oz planks.
- Chicken (white meat) – Chicken is by far my favorite protein source. If possible try to stick to white meat, dark meat has a high fat content. Oh and always remove the skin, it’s loaded with saturated fat.
- Dairy (milk cheese yogurt) – Dairy is a good source of protein and they also contain calcium and vitamin D. In terms of milk I use skim and I try to find the lowest possible amount of fat in my cheese.
- Eggs – I love my eggs, number one they are cheap. They are the least expensive of the quality proteins. Egg whites are the better option. I eat these for breakfast just about everyday. Egg whites may take some getting use to as they taste a little bland. I’ll add one whole egg to my egg whites to give them a better taste.
- Beans – Beans are a double bonus. They have a lot of protein AND a good amount of fiber. Just be aware of the carbs in them when you are tracking your nutrition.
- Pork (lean) – Pork is a great source of protein and maybe my second favorite. I’ll eat pork maybe once per week. And I like to get the boneless “premium lean” cuts.
- Beef (lean) – I don’t tend to eat very much beef. My kids love it though so we eat this maybe once every other week. Beef has a good amount of protein and is a good source of zinc, iron, and vitamin B12.
- Supplements – Still not able to reach your protein goals in your nutrition? This is where I fill in the gaps. I’ll have protein shakes, protein bars and of course my Shakeology to help me reach my nutrition goals of protein.
Protein Snack Options
I just thought I would include my favorite options for protein snacks. I pretty much eat these everyday also.
- Turkey Jerky
- String Cheese
Protein And Shakeology
So we have learned that we need protein to help loss weight and more importantly fat. And we went over good protein sources for our bodies. The study conducted by the “Nutrition Journal” helps prove that those with a higher intake of protein not only maintained their lean muscle mass but the lost more fat. This is why Team Beachbody created Shakeology. It’s packed with more than 70 nutrients that your body needs to function at it’s best. PLUS there is more than 15 grams of high quality protein in each yummy shake. At less than 160 calories it’s the healthiest meal of the day. If you haven’t joined the Shakeology craze, get started today.
Protein is a vital part of our health and fitness regimen to help us lose fat while either maintaining muscle or building it. And if you are following the “Fat Shredder” guide lines and you nutrition is set at 50-30-20 which is 50% of your diet on protein you are going to need to find ways to get enough protein in your diet.
Did you find this post helpful?? Do me a quick favor and share it with your friends! “Tweet it”, “Like it” or “Pin it” to help someone else who may be going through the same struggles as you! . Very much appreciated.-
Yours In Success,
Work With Me - Join Us!
WHAT DO YOU THINK? LEAVE YOUR QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, or ideas below in the comments!